Eli and Lena Jacobson raised ten children and three grandchildren here. Eli died in 1937 and Lena in 1956 and this farm passed into other hands after Jacobson ownership for almost a half century. See page 223.
This farmstead was constructed about 200 yards northeast from where the Schweringen family of 1860 was supposedly "nooning" when a prairie fire came over the hill to the southwest and killed them. Originally, this farmstead sat very close to the diagonal road that ran northwest-southeast but when that road was abandoned by 1875, it necessitated the two long drives. That road was probably about 100 yards from the lower left corner of this photo. After a fashion, it represents many farmsteads that have partially or totally disappeared from the countryside.This fine view, labeled as from 1941, of the WPA "check" dam downstream of the Soper's Mill site about 1/4 mile shows the fine effort of stonework topped with a pipe about three inches in diameter. This pipe, portions of it, are about all that remain of this structure after decades of floods and ice have done their work. The cars visible look to be of the thirties vintage and a nice attendance is evident on this fine summer day. Compare with picture on page 271.