The Dayton Park article on the previous page appeared on 20 August 1920 announcing the sale of the popular resort and recreation area located in the north half of the northeast quarter of Sec 24 in Franklin Twp. While this is technically not in Milford Twp, it was just across the road in Franklin Twp, southwest of the intersection of Dayton Rd (560th Ave) and E29 (190th St). Visitation declined throughout the 1930s and early 1940s as ease of transportation increased. Following the war, there were only occasional events at the dance hall, and around the time of the Korean War the place closed its doors for the last time.
The listing of the items at the park is very impressive and one of the things that catches the eye is in the last paragraph about a facility in Nevada supplying the electricity. This would mean that, at the time of the moving of the four or five one-room schools to the Sec 15 site; the movers would have had to contend with electric wires. Milford Consolidated School in Sec 15 did not receive public utility electricity until 1925.
An interesting footnote to the history of Dayton Park was that the remaining deteriorating structure of the dance pavilion burned to the ground on the night of the Milford 1956 Jr-Sr Prom. (Held at the airport in Des Moines 21 April 1956) It is reported that the light of the fire could be seen by the students of Milford Twp all the way home from Des Moines.
Dark Dot Identification on the Map:
North to South
Lekwa's Greenbelt Access
Anderson' Canoe Access- "H" Tree Site
McFarland Park, 188 acres in Sec 7.
Peterson Pit Park
Ol' Milford Farmer ponder: Put the words `the' and `IRS' together-- and it spells, `Theirs"!