Search Surnames

Zearing, Iowa 1956 History

Story Co. Home Page
Page 97 of 255
Community Organizations97
Sorosis Club

We are indebted to Mary Allen Lundy for the history of this Zearing club.

A group of young ladies met at the home of Queen Burkhart in northwest Zearing in 1903 to organize a club. A few evenings later they completed the organization of the club at the home of Anna Vorba Roushar.

The club was called the N. O. C. which was a secret name. It was a social club based upon music and fancy work. The following ladies were the charter members of the N. O. C. All were single with the exception of Anna Roushar and Melissa McCormack.

Charlotte KuhlAnna Vorba Ronshar
Grace BeanCecelia Wohlheter
Queen BurkhartNellie King
Susie WilliamsMae Wilson
Mabel CliftDolly Mitchell
Anna E. FryPearl Mitchell
Melissa Wyatt McCormackBertha Clift

In 1920, the members of the N. O. C. decided to become a federated club. They found that they would be required to change the club name. So they chose the name, Sorosis.

Before becoming federated, and for a couple of years after, the club carried on Lyceum work in Zearing. Many outstanding speakers and entertainers were brought to the community during the winter months. The club remained in the state federation for several years. Since leaving the federation the club has been a social organization.

In 1931, a reunion was held at the home of Bethany Oakes Dakins. On June 19, 1953, the club entertained all former members at a 50th anniversary tea. The tea was held at the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Grace Bean Campbell, the only charter member remaining in the club, was the president of the club in 1953.

The following ladies are members of the club in 1955. All are listed under their married names.

Alice AdamsFlorence Kleespie
Lela AdamsDorothy Lund
Carrie AndersonHazel Lund
Grace CampbellMary Lundy
Louise CarverLela Madison
Lucille DakinsMyrtle Martin
Myrtle EleyNellie Ricketts
Emelie GrimmEloise Sterling
Ruby HoskinsCleo Wickham
Frances JohnsCarrie Strassburg
Knights of Pythias, Iola Lodge No. 234

The following information concerning Iola Lodge No. 234 was furnished by E. J. Kuelper, Grand Secretary, Des Moines, Iowa.

Page 97 of 255

© 2011–2019 Mark Christian
[Search Surnames] [Introduction] [Story Co. Home Page ] [Zearing Book Index]