|21||Our Home Town||21|
The Northern Light was a newspaper published at Latrobe in 1882. Latrobe was the town later named McCallsburg. The Northern Light dated August 15, 1882, carried an item from Zearing. It stated that Zearing was growing at a steady pace. The drug store was nearly completed. The lots were staked for the new elevators. Chester A. Burgess had given his shoe shop another coat of paint. The telegraph wire was up. Ed Allen was the new depot agent.
Allen's history of Story county told of a barb wire factory in Zearing. The sum of $200 was spent for the factory.
|C. E. Hayes||Depot Agent|
|John C. Burkhart||Lumber Dealer|
|Nathaniel R. Clift||Farm Implements|
|Asa M. Williams||Hotel, Zearing House|
|Morton Kuhn||Real Estate Agent|
|Albert D. Hix||Postmaster|
There were two elevators in 1886-87. One was owned by Armstrong, Bracket & Co. of Marshalltown, Iowa. The other was owned by E. A. Abbott of Marshalltown, Iowa.
An excellent summary of Zearing business was published in 1889. The survey covers the month of December in 1889. We do not have the name of the newspaper. The summary is in the present tense as it has been copied for this history as it appeared in the newspaper.
Looking east on Main Street from near the intersection of Main Street and Center Street. You will notice the large building on the right in the picture. That building was the Pollock Block built in 1902. The Pollock Block burned in the fire of January 30, 1955.