We are indebted to Mary Allen Lundy for the history of this Zearing club.
A group of young ladies met at the home of Queen Burkhart in northwest Zearing in 1903 to organize a club. A few evenings later they completed the organization of the club at the home of Anna Vorba Roushar.
The club was called the N. O. C. which was a secret name. It was a social club based upon music and fancy work. The following ladies were the charter members of the N. O. C. All were single with the exception of Anna Roushar and Melissa McCormack.
|Charlotte Kuhl||Anna Vorba Ronshar|
|Grace Bean||Cecelia Wohlheter|
|Queen Burkhart||Nellie King|
|Susie Williams||Mae Wilson|
|Mabel Clift||Dolly Mitchell|
|Anna E. Fry||Pearl Mitchell|
|Melissa Wyatt McCormack||Bertha Clift|
In 1920, the members of the N. O. C. decided to become a federated club. They found that they would be required to change the club name. So they chose the name, Sorosis.
Before becoming federated, and for a couple of years after, the club carried on Lyceum work in Zearing. Many outstanding speakers and entertainers were brought to the community during the winter months. The club remained in the state federation for several years. Since leaving the federation the club has been a social organization.
In 1931, a reunion was held at the home of Bethany Oakes Dakins. On June 19, 1953, the club entertained all former members at a 50th anniversary tea. The tea was held at the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Grace Bean Campbell, the only charter member remaining in the club, was the president of the club in 1953.
The following ladies are members of the club in 1955. All are listed under their married names.
|Alice Adams||Florence Kleespie|
|Lela Adams||Dorothy Lund|
|Carrie Anderson||Hazel Lund|
|Grace Campbell||Mary Lundy|
|Louise Carver||Lela Madison|
|Lucille Dakins||Myrtle Martin|
|Myrtle Eley||Nellie Ricketts|
|Emelie Grimm||Eloise Sterling|
|Ruby Hoskins||Cleo Wickham|
|Frances Johns||Carrie Strassburg|
The following information concerning Iola Lodge No. 234 was furnished by E. J. Kuelper, Grand Secretary, Des Moines, Iowa.