|202||Community History, Zearing, Iowa||202|
Joseph S. Pulley was born in Ohio on October 6, 1848. Mary Elizabeth Laughran was born on January 22, 1861, in Jo Daviess county, Illinois. On February 24, 1881, in Pleasant Valley, Illinois, Mary Laughran of Pleasant Valley, and Joseph Pulley of Conrad, Iowa, were married by Rev. C. R. Mitchell.
Joseph and Mary lived at Conrad, Iowa, for five years. They moved from Conrad to Pocahontas county, Iowa. Two children, Roy and Tana, were born in Grundy county. Two more children were born in Pocahontas county. They were Lee and Jay. The Pulley family moved to Zearing, Iowa, in 1913.
Joseph died on March 5, 1936. Mary died on September 19, 1948. They are buried in the Zearing Cemetery.
Creed William Rankin was born on December 6, 1877, at Saybrook, Illinois. After his graduation from high school and business college, he came to Iowa. Elva E. Tight was born on September 12, 1877, in Marshall county, Iowa, near Illinois Grove. Creed and Elva were married on February 27, 1898, at St. Anthony, Iowa. They moved to Zearing, Iowa, in 1918.
Creed and Elva were the parents of five children. They were Leta, Adrian, Meriden, Max, and Fay. Adrian, a Zearing business man, died on June 17, 1951.
Creed died on September 25, 1951. Elva died on December 16, 1928. They are buried in the Zearing Cemetery.
Joseph F. Roche was born at Lalaye, France, on December 9, 1888. He came to the United States with his parents in June, 1892. Mary Carmody was born in our community on September 16, 1896. Joseph and Mary were married at Zearing, Iowa, on November 29, 1916. They established their home in our community after the marriage in 1916.
Joseph and Mary were the parents of four children. They were Joseph Jr., James, Elizabeth, and Francis.
Joseph is living in our community in 1956. Mary died on May 13, 1931.
Huston Otis Steelman was born at Yadkinville, North Carolina, on July 8, 1893. Ruth Adams was born in Lincoln township, Story county, Iowa, on April 11, 1896. Otis and Ruth were married on April 18, 1913, at Albert Lea, Minnesota. They moved to our community in 1918.