|168||Community History, Zearing, Iowa||168|
The Norman family needs no introduction in our community. The family has lived in our community since 1895.
Alexander Norman was born near Otsego, Ohio, on February 17, 1849. Rachel Catherine Bainter was born near Otsego, Ohio, on September 30, 1854. Alexander and Catherine were married on April 24, 1873. They moved to a farm in our community in 1895.
Alexander and Catherine were the parents of two children. They were Charles E. and Olive Eva. Charles E. and Olive Eva Deal established their permanent homes in this community.
Alexander died on January 15, 1921. Catherine died on January 28, 1928.
Descendants of the Norton family live in our community in 1956. The Norton family has had an important place in our community since 1875.
Trustian Norton was a long time resident of Maine. His son, Harrison H., married Betsey Batchelor. Harrison and Betsey were the parents of twelve children. The following list of children was compiled in 1890.
The twin of Hiram died in infancy. The remaining eleven were :
|Hiram||Emeline Norton Carver|
|Ira B.||Harrison Jr.|
|Lydia Norton Agnew||John|
|Sarah Norton Terry||Levi|
The Harrison Norton family moved from Franklin county, Maine, to LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1849. They settled near Earlville, Illinois.
Hiram O. Norton was born in Maine on December 1, 1833. He moved to Earlville, Illinois, with his parents in 1849. Nancy Davis was born on September 29, 1832. Hiram and Nancy were married at Earlville several years after Hiram moved there. They moved to our community in 1881.
Hiram and Nancy were the parents of seven children. They were Addie Norton Belden, Etta Norton Wicks, Mannie, George, Mae Norton Thatcher, Nathaniel, and John Henry.
John Henry was a Zearing business man before he moved from our community. Nathaniel established a permanent home in our community. He was called Nattie, by his friends.
Nattie told me several stories of his early life in our community. He said that he was old enough to drive a team when the railroad was constructed through Lincoln township. Nattie remembered the
|Page 168 of 255|