by classes in 1876. This building is 40x70 feet, three and one-half stories including basement. The basement was assigned to the mechanical engineering department, the first floor to chemistry, the second floor to physics, and the top floor to the civil engineering department as drafting rooms. The money was appropriated for a physical laboratory, and legally and morally should be devoted to that purpose. The building is at present occupied by the departments of chemistry and physics. It is heated by steam, having its own boiler in the basement.
In 1872 a barn, 54x70 feet and 24 feet to top plate, and 21 feet rise to ridge, and fine stone basement under all, of 9 feet, was completed, at a cost of $5,000.
In 1878 a horticultural laboratory and museum was erected, costing $2,500.
In 1880 North Hall, a two-story brick building, for the use of botany, veterinary science and agriculture, was erected, at a cost of $6,000.
A brick boarding cottage, three stories high, including basement, was finished in 1880, costing $3,500, and accommodating fifty students.
In 1882 another brick boarding cottage, similar in plan to previous one, was built, but somewhat larger, costing $5,000.
Two professors' houses were also erected on the college campus the same year, at a cost of $5,000. One of these houses is used by the professor of botany, the other by the professor of zoology, entomology and geology.
Work was also begun, and in part finished, on Engineering Hall. This building was completed in 1884, at a total cost of $12,500.
In 1884 two buildings were built for the use of the veterinary department, costing $10,000. One of these, built of brick, is used as a veterinary barn and hospital; the other, a frame building, is two stories; the lower story is used as a lecture room and veterinary museum; the upper story is fitted up as a hospital, used by sick students.
Also the same year a neat brick office building was erected, for use of president, treasurer and secretary ; cost, $3,000.
The board also bought the house occupied by Prof. Budd, and also the one owned by Prof. Pope, the two costing $5,800.
From this brief outline of material improvements made in the equipment of the college, the careful reader notes a corresponding increase in the facilities for imparting instruction. For the true function of the college, after all, is to turn out noble men and women, loyal citizens and leaders in society and opinion. The uses to which the various buildings are devoted indicates the lines along which development has taken place. One of the charges brought against the management of the college in 1872 was, "that the college was drifting away from its original intent, as a school of agriculture and mechanic arts," and the committee, after a careful examination into all the facts charged by the enemies of the college, declared the charge not sustained. The charge, however, has from time to time been reiterated, and to quiet all such rumors, and settle beyond dispute all such questions, the Twentieth General Assembly ordered, "That there shall be adopted at the State Agricultural College a broad, liberal and practical course of study, in which the leading branches of learning shall relate to the agricultural and mechanical arts, and which shall also embrace such other branches of learning as will most practically and liberally educate the agricultural and industrial class in the several pursuits and professions of life, including military tactics." This is seen to be essentially the object expressed in the national grant making the endowment. By the above act, the State has placed itself in complete harmony with the