Search Surnames

1890 Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Story County, Iowa

Story Co. Home Page
Page 197 of 460

1,454 volumes of a character that shows careful selection. It was re-organized in 1886, and has been removed from the court-house to its present brick room adjoining the city hall. The building is 18x30 feet, and cost $500. The successive librarians have been Wilbur Hunt, H. B. Blanchard, Miss Mattie Kellogg, and Miss Flora Emmons, the present incumbent. In 1881 the " city fathers " determined to have a home of their own, and erected the present two-story brick on the corner of Fifth and Oak Streets, at a cost of $2,800. The first floor is used for the fire department, and the second as the council room. This had been agitated in 1877, as also had the fire department. Fires prompted the organization of a force of about twenty men, into two companies, A and B, with Frank Bishop and S. S. Statler as foremen. One was supplied with a hand engine, and the other with hook and ladder outfit. Among the fire marshals were Messrs. Rodearmel, Bishop and Statler. This company resigned in 1885, and a reorganization took place in April, with H. F. Murphy, fire marshal ;

S. E. Armstrong, foreman of engine, and C. W. Wood, of hook and ladder company. A force pump was put in at the corner of Linn and Sixth Streets. The officers in 1886 were T. P. Worsley, F. M. ; John Peterson, F. E. ; George Brady, F. H. and L. ; and those of 1887 were W. H. Jones, F. M. ; John Peterson, F. E., and J. H. Boyd, F. H. and L. A third reorganization took place in October, 1888, under the new water-works system, with two hose companies, under Fire Marshal A. K. Banks, who was succeeded by the present incumbent, J. H. Ridelsberger, in November, 1889. Each company is composed of fifteen men, and the apparatus embraces two hose carts, 1,200 feet of three-inch hose, one hook and ladder outfit, and two full suits of rubber clothing, the total value of which is over $1,900. The foreman of No. 1, Ed. T. Alderman, has served continuously to the present, while that office in No. 2 has been filled successively by John McCutchen and F. A. Flach. A select running team has been formed from the two companies, and officered by the foremen above mentioned. No very serious fires have given the department an opportunity to test its full strength. The force has given occasional aid to Ames. The new water-works system grew from the desire for better fire protection, and after a committee, composed of Mayor Boardman and Messrs. Thompson, Gates and Capt. Smith, had investigated several systems suited for places of Nevada's population, the elevated tank system was adopted, and a proposition to bond the corporation for $12,000, was submitted to the people on January 9, 1888. The result was 237 for and but twenty-four against it. The plans of a Batavia (Ill.) company were adopted, and the contract given to Fremont Turner, of Ames, for $11,600. A tank 20x30, with 100,000 gallons capacity, was placed on a 75-foot tower in Stewart's Addition, and 2,550 feet of 8-inch and 3,600 feet of 6-inch mains were laid, with 18 fire hydrants. A 25-foot windmill was placed at the corner of Fourth and Linn Streets, on a 70-foot tower and with force pumps. It was completed by September, and on trial 150 feet of hose threw a stream over the court-house, while 1,000 feet gave a stream 20 feet above the well-known Central House. The excellent water is furnished by a well of 10,000 gallons daily capacity. The absence of wind during several weeks in 1889 made a steam-pump necessary for such emergencies, and a double-acting Dean pump was planted, with a brick engine-house 20x22, of one story, near the wind-mill. This has a capacity of 10,000 gallons per hour. The system gives perfect satisfaction, and is a marvel of cheapness in current expense, the entire cost for

Page 197 of 460

© 2012 Mark Christian
[Search Surnames] [Introduction] [Story Co. Home Page ] [Table of Contents]